Monday, June 21, 2010

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie

I'm not a berry pie eater. Basically, I'm a pumpkin pie eater. If there were no other kind of pie than pumpkin, and no other time of year than fall, I'd be perfectly pleased. But there is one berry pie I will eat with a relish. Strawberry-Rhubarb. Maybe I like it because it's half vegetable. And tart.

When I saw rhubarb on our share this week I knew the only way to have it was in a pie. Benedicta went to retrieve our share with the objective of trading in one head of lettuce for one bunch of rhubarb and thankfully succeeded. Otherwise, this pie would have been light on rhubarb and I would have left the whole thing for her.

This ended up being the easiest pie I have every made in my life. Usually I make my own crust. But I knew it was going to be a stretch just to have time to cut up the rhubarb stalks so I picked up the whole foods vegan crust. What a find! I may never make crust again. Why bother, when this is better?

And why make any other dessert when this is absolutely the simplest thing imaginable. Wash the stems and berries. Chop. Add quick cook tapioca and sucanet. Stir. Fill pie shell. Then the one tricky part - place empty extra shell upside down on top and pinch the crusts together. Oh, I did slice it a few times first to let the juice bubble out the top. Voila. Dessert! Or rather, breakfast if your name is Benedicta.

No comments: