Sunday, June 13, 2010

Boc Choi for Beginners



Okay, I know it's sometimes spelled Bok Choy. But on our list of vegetables from the farmer it's spelled Boc Choi. So I'm going with her spelling. 


I was suspect about coming up with something enjoyably edible with this one. I've had bok choy in chinese restaurant dishes. They're the whitish green stem-like pieces I push to the side of the plate. When I've bitten into a piece that's hidden under a mushroom or camouflaged in a vegetable dish, I greet it with bitter deference. I'll chew you this time but don't make a habit of stowing away on my fork.


Enter boc choi in my crisper. Armed with a recipe from Veganomicon I chopped away. I didn't have all the ingredients so improvised: peanut oil, fresh ginger, braggs, chopped boc choi stems and lots of green leafs - arugula, mizuna and all the boc choi leafs - and a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds. 


Time for a taste. Surprise! It's actually very good. The greens melted down to nothing and were a delightful accent to the gingery boc choi. I would eat this again tomorrow if there was any left!


Awaiting next week's veggie list. Maybe there'll be a little more boc choi!

No comments: