Saturday, June 12, 2010

Salads, Salads, Salads

We made it through the last of the lettuces last night - two heads of red leaf and one head of butter crunch. The Blendtec hasn't arrived so we ate the leaves the old fashioned way. The bunch of cherriette radishes added a spicy crunch and in anticipation of loads of lettuce I'd picked up heirloom tomatoes at Whole Foods along with a herby vinaigrette.  So summery and fresh.

Now I have to work on the vegetables that require cooking. I've washed the boc choi and will saute it in peanut oil as soon as I unearth the recipe I ran across a couple weeks ago. I'm going to throw in the bunch of arugula and mizuna (this is a new one to me - basically chinese lettuce) and maybe the boc choi leaves for a green wilted dish to top some brown rice. If it doesn't taste good I'll just pour on lots of Bragg's.

The only thing left is the oregano. I'm going to toss it in with some garlic, roasted tomatoes, tomato paste and maybe a few dry italian spices for a marinara sauce to hold us over until Tuesday's delivery. I'm already curious about its contents.

There was a bunch of mustard greens that we left in the bin for someone with a more daring palate. The CSA has a bin where you can put things you don't want. And if someone has discarded something that appeals to you, you can make an exchange. Someone left their radishes. Seems sinful to me. Benedicta snatched them up and didn't think twice about throwing in those mustard greens.

No comments: