Monday, July 30, 2007

Repetition

The office down the hall is used for post-production editing. It's pretty much a one man show. Dave sits at his giant monitor, with occasional reinforcements appearing erratically and unpredictably.

Dave has headphones that he seldom uses. Or perhaps he uses them often and I only notice when he doesn't. Amateur musicians being diced and spliced. I suppose this helps but I'll let others be the judges.

Currently there are incomprehensible groaning noises emerging, with expletives sprinkled in. This seems to be a staple of the post-production life. Typically it is preceded by one snippet (not sure of the technical term) being played repetitively. The modern version of the now extinct "broken record."

Until recently the office in front of me - on the other side of the wall - was used for making mix tapes for Latin radio broadcasting. Spinning was primarily done at night but there was the ocassional mid-afternoon blast. The noisiest moments came from Paco making sales calls. He has one of those voices that rises higher than most and is unaware of its predominance. I suppose this is natural for a radio personality.

Other midday sounds include Peter taking a break from all things lawyerly to pluck out a few tunes on his guitar. This appears to be a 3pm doldrums-buster. It's kind of soothing and helps to pass the time.

I do not own a radio, ipod, CD player or any other music machine. My computer, I understand, is so equipped, but I prefer it to keep quiet and let me do the talking.

Spontaneous outbursts of unrequested music are enough for me. Can you repeat that, please.

No comments: