Monday, July 23, 2007

High School

Boy meets Girl. Girl becomes enamored with Boy. They get to know each other a bit and Boy decides he'd rather meet new Girl. Girl cries for a day or two until the shuffle offers new Boy for Girl. And so it plays out, for some more often than others.

In the world of Boarding School, where I lived, it took on a heightened intensity. Boys and Girls had breakfast, lunch and dinner together. Weekends could be entirely devoted to each other with relatively low supervision. There were rules. But rules were meant to be broken.

25th year reunion offered new opportunities for this Boy/Girl matching and unmatching to play out. Some came with their spouses. Others left them at home. The games began with those who had none.

Scott liked Pam, and it turns out Pam liked Scott. We weren't surprised when she graciously opted out of dropping us at the train. We liked her better option, too. Just like in High School, I'm curious to know how it went. But now that I've matured it can wait until I see her again. No giddy inquisitions needed.

Jenny had her opportunity, too. And he seemed like a very nice man. A little older, which hasn't lost its appeal. She said she didn't notice he was hitting on her but I'm not so sure. She related to guys the same way in High School. No wonder she showed up at the reunion spouseless. I offered to get his number so she could rectify the situation but it must be she prefers the security of not giving them a chance.

No wonder I didn't want to go. I couldn't be happier in my life and have no interest in boy meeting girl. As in High School, so at a reunion, that was the mainstage. We filled in details about our kids (and for me - grandson) and work and other mundane details. But how fun is that?

The fun part will be hearing about Pam's date with Scott!

No comments: