Saturday, August 21, 2010

Salsa, Salsa


Everything conspired for salsa this week - two pounds of tomatoes and Walla Walla onions. After my previous salsa disaster I vowed to chop all those tomatoes by hand on my next attempt! Wrong. How could I chop with the Blendtec poised and ready on the counter. I added a few extras - garlic scapes, chile powder, salt - then pulse, pulse, pulse it is done! Tangy tomato taste jumping off the tortilla, mingled with a hint of garlic fresh.


Salsa Verde had not been on my radar. In fact, I don't remember ever trying it. Sounds positively sinful when I say it. But now I know! We received a pound of tomatilloes so I googled to figure out what to do with them. To say I modified a recipe would be a huge overstatement. I basically created my own based on what I had in the kitchen. Broiled the tomatilloes. Tossed them in the blender. Threw in four garlic scape heads (only), Ile de Re salt, chile powder and three scallions. I did not expect SWEET! I wanted to just eat it with a spoon but since I'm an adult I drizzled it over refried beans and ate it with a fork, each serving having ample salsa verde and a wee bit of beans.


One more reason to love the surprise treats in the CSA box. Wonder what I'll discover next week?! Oh, but let's not forget the fruit. How about some Pear Ginger Crisp?







No comments: