Sunday, August 8, 2010

Leek and Potato Puree

These vegetables are too beautiful for words. Luscious leaves, curvy forms, magnificent colors, sinewy roots. Such bountifully crunchy promise of meaty meals. All without the meat! Leeks in our bin meant stopping at Whole Foods for some red potatoes for an attempt at Vichyssoise. I didn't find a vegan recipe so I modified a standard from The Joy of Cooking. The last ingredient was a pint of cream. Um, that was not going to work. So I went for potato soup with leeks. Vegetable broth instead of chicken, scallions from last weeks harvest, potatoes, leeks sauteed in vegan butter and salt and pepper. As a potato soup it was tasty but having ruined the gazpacho I wanted to give the Blendtec another go.
 
There it is waiting for a twirl. I put half in and pressed soup. Miracle! It came out so creamy you'd think I added a quart of cream. I have no idea how that happened. The potatoes were creamy not starchy. The leaks took on a sticky texture. That combination? Must be. It was so good I wanted to eat it for breakfast. Benedicta slurped it at every opportunity and in a day it vanished. I have more potatoes. But will there be more leeks? If not, I'll buy some and see if the store-bought can hold up to farm-fresh.
 

No comments: