Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Cucumber Heaven

Doesn't that pear make you want to stare into her rosy cheeks and admire her voluptuous shape and savor the prospect of taking a bite out of her. That's just what I did. Over and over again. So juicy fresh. And look at those fascinating cucumbers. They're the intellectual counterpart to the sexy pear. When I was growing up, all summer long my grandmother had a batch of sliced cucumbers swimming in white vinegar spiced with salt and pepper brewing in the fridge. Biting into them was an exciting encounter with tangy crunch. I rarely make them though they are one of my favorite summer snacks. Benedicta hasn't caught on to this one so every slice waits patiently to be devoured by me alone. They've been reappearing in different shapes and colors over the past couple weeks and they all taste swell soaked in vinegar. I keep refilling the bowl, and adding a dash more salt and pepper and vinegar. So simple, so so scrumptious.

No comments: