Friday, August 24, 2007

Words

I love the way words roll off my pen when I write in my journal during "freewriting" as they call it. Just set the pen free and let it march out in front of my thoughts.

Writing at the computer allows for faster input. But it's always a little more formal and staid. The quick ability to re-write, focusing on correct spelling and passable grammar, keeps me reigned in.

I'm always amazed at the reward that comes from sitting down to write. The conscious effort to address the blank page rouses the Gods to come to my rescue. They carry me on their soft wings to the reassuring safety of their mighty words.

Take this one, they urge. Play around with that one a bit. I dare you to show me what can be done with this little phrase.

My pen - or finger tips - dance to their challenge. As we tango my spirit rises up within me and frees me from myself. I joyously play, rolling phrases and tossing up questions. No need for answers in this game.

I want to write more. Fear asserts itself time after time. I must fight back. Beat down the temptation to submit to inertia, uncertainty. Forge ahead in sunshine and through storms.

These words are not mine. But they are me.

No comments: