Friday, February 12, 2010

I'm Committed! To Fruit and Veggies

I've wanted to join our neighborhood CSA (community supported agriculture) since the day I learned about it six years ago. The thought of reaping the harvest of fresh vegetables trucked in from a farm upstate every week tickled me in several of my favorite pleasure zones: eating, cooking, low-maintenance shopping and supporting sustainable farming. Every year the obstacle of time and scheduling prevented me from signing up.

Since I quit my day job last September I've frequently checked the Chelsea CSA website to look into actually committing this year. Always the same story - the only option available was signing up for the waiting list. I didn't want to be on a waiting list. I wanted to join. So I let it go assuming I'd be navigating the "conventional," "organic," and "local" produce in the narrow Whole Foods aisles for another year. Until yesterday. Checked the website and to my delight, on-line registration was available for new members.

A few facts:
  • Pick ups are every Tuesday between 4 and 7. Check. Between the two of us we should be able to get over there each week. (Did I mention the pick-up location is a block away? One block closer than Whole Foods and I'm guessing about 75% cheaper.)
  • Members must volunteer for 6 hours each year. Check. This can be shared too. I'm sure we can manage to dole out veggies one Tuesday afternoon this summer.
  • Vegetable harvest begins mid-June. Check. We're returning from a three-week vacation in Maine on May 27th. As far as I can tell, we won't miss a single delivery!
  • $520 buys 24 weeks of vegetables (enough for 2-3 people). And an extra $250 buys 20 weeks of fruit. Check. $770 has been paid in advance. A preemptive strike on the summer/fall grocery bills.
I'm looking forward to this grand adventure of getting a mystery box of veggies and fruit every week and figuring out how to transform them into delicious meals. My eating and cooking passions have four months to salivate before the goods arrive. And I'm thinking of blogging the adventure so my writing passion won't get jealous.

No comments: