Friday, January 8, 2010

Hibernation

I've always thought the bears had the right response to cold weather. Hunker down, go underground and sleep. That's what I want to do when the thermostat refuses to push 30. Most of the years duty called and against my best judgment I bundled up and defiantly forged ahead.

But not the winter of 2010! I've retreated to my 7th floor den to wait it out. Forcing myself to layer up only when responsibility dictates, like Sunday School teaching and an occasional report-for-duty at the theater. I'm living my dream.

Okay, so I'm not huddled in a snow-covered yurt miles from a dirt-track, but I do have isolation. I can see people below and imagine they're wandering deer or scurrying rabbits. And I can turn on the shower and pretend I've hauled and heated the water. Let's call it urban-hibernation. All the benefits with none of the hardship.

Food, for instance. Usually I walk the two blocks to Whole Foods and forage. But this week I embraced urban-hibernation by logging on to Fresh Direct. Or books. I could hike up to Barnes and Noble and peruse the shelves but instead I logon to Paperbackswap and voila ... books on the way. And exercise. While I love the liberation of jogging along the Hudson, a tromp on the trampoline that lives under my bed offers adequate stimulation.

So keep the cold weather coming. 'Cause I've no need to come out and play!

No comments: